Friday, April 25, 2014

How Important is it for a Person to Summarize His Philosophy of Life in an Early Chapter of an Autobiography?

The following is an essay for my English 1 course.

Enjoy!
-----
     How important is it for someone to summarize their philosophy of life early in their autobiography? I would say that it is very important! If you have an absurd philosophy of life, say, Thoreauian, then I don't want to read your autobiography. Plain and simple. However, if you don't warn me of this early in your biography, then I will waste my time reading your autobiography, of which is of no interest to me. Many people read the first few pages of a book before fully reading, or purchasing, to see if it is going to be worth his time or money. If you don't make those first few pages interesting, attention-grabbing, appealing to the reader, then they probably won't pick up your book! Thoreau certainly didn't make his first few pages interesting, and I wouldn't have read his autobiography if it wasn't an educational assignment. Perhaps if he had explained his philosophy of life, no matter it's absurdity, I might have been more inclined to read it.
-----

I hope you've enjoyed this essay. If so, leave a comment below. If you're viewing this on my 'main page', then you must first click the essay's title before being led to an area where you can comment.

Thanks for reading,

- RPCStudent1414

No comments:

Post a Comment