Friday, April 11, 2014

Was Thoreau Dependent on the Division of Labor While He was Living on Walden Pond?

This is an essay for my English 1 course. Enjoy!
-----
     I believe whole-heartedly that Henry Thoreau was dependent on the American division of labor while he was living on Walden Pond. First of all, he lived in a shack. Even if he chopped down the trees to make lumber, he most likely didn't make the hatchet or axe that he used to do so. Also, he would have to have some way to affix the pieces of wood to one another...nails perhaps? I can almost guarantee that he didn't make those. When he built the shack, he would have to have had a place to put it. This was provided by someone else! As much as Thoreau wanted to be independent, he wasn't...at least not completely.
-----
I hope this essay gave you a little bit of insight into Thoreau's mistaken theory that you can fully escape the division of labor.

Leave a comment below, and let me know what you thought! (If you are reading this on my 'main page', then you will need to click on the title of this post to be taken to a separate page where you can comment.)

- RPCStudent1414

No comments:

Post a Comment