Monday, May 12, 2014

Has Any Event in Your Life Had the Same Impact that Learning to Read Had on Douglass' Life?

The following is an essay for my English 1 course.

-----

     Learning to read had an unmeasurable impact on his life. It was the beginning of his realization of enslavement, and the start of his longing for freedom. Indeed, this does seem like a pretty hard event to match, but I think I have one that might just put up a fair fight.
     Just five months ago, I left the Mormon church. It was a heck of an ordeal, spanning at least three of those five months. The Mormon church has hundreds of life-restricting values, rules, regulations, and practices. Once I started to realize this, with the help of the internet, and my parents, I, like Douglass, began to come to the realization of the terrible position that I was in. While Douglass' transformation took years, mine took only weeks. Within weeks, I started opening up my mind to freedom. Douglass had to long for years and years for freedom, but my search proved nearly instant gratification. I was soon free from the Mormon church, and am happy to report that I am a 'free man' now.

-----

No comments:

Post a Comment