Friday, February 28, 2014

What Would I Do in My Autobiography that is Different from What Darwin Did?

The following is an Essay for my English 1 course. Enjoy!
----------
     Charles Darwin's autobiography places readers in a predicament. You see, most of the people reading his autobiography are probably already familiar with his work on 'The Origin of Species', and 'The Descent of Man'. However, if you are not, then the autobiography really does you no good at all.
     When I write my autobiography, I will be sure to include my interactions with other people, and how I went about living my everyday life. In Darwin's autobiography, we get no such information. We really only get information on his various books, and even then, he's not very clear. 'The Origin of Species' shed light on the whole of the scientific community's view of 'creation', yet we get one sentence to this effect. While it is clear that Darwin is being very humble, he appears almost ignorant of his remarkable influence on mankind's view of life. When I write my autobiography, I will include sections on all of my major accomplishments, even if they weren't major to the world -- and most certainly if they were! However, I should hope to make my autobiography a 'page-turner', for Charles Darwin's certainly was not. The last half of his life was spent in sickness, misery and work, and while that is the truth, it's not very interesting to read about. In my autobiography, I should hope not to dwell on the negative aspects of life, but to highlight the positive life-changing events.
----------
I hope you enjoyed this essay. Leave your thoughts in the comment box below. (If you are viewing this essay on my homepage, you will have to click the essay's title to be taken to the page where you can comment, which I strongly advise doing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment